Dr. Stan Tolkachjov is a double board-certified dermatologist and fellowship-trained Mohs micrographic & reconstructive surgeon with interests in skin cancers, Mohs surgery & complex facial reconstruction, pyoderma gangrenosum, neutrophilic dermatoses, cosmetics, and hair disorders & restoration. He is the Dallas-Fort Worth area Director of Mohs Micrographic & Reconstructive Surgery for Epiphany and has performed over 18,000 cases. He’s a Clinical Assistant Professor of Dermatology at UT Southwestern, Clinical Associate Professor at Texas A&M College of Medicine, Core Faculty for the Dermatology Residency at Baylor University Medical Center, and a Staff Dermatologic Surgeon at the Dallas VA Medical Center, serving our veterans. He’s also the current President of the Dallas Dermatological Society.
He graduated from Emory University with a degree in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology where he was on the varsity track and field team and played rugby. He then attended University of Tennessee College of Medicine graduating first in his class of 159 medical students where he was elected to the professionalism committee for 4 years, an AMA representative, president of the Student Surgical Society, and a member of the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha honor society followed by a rigorous transitional year internship at the Methodist University Hospital at the University of Tennessee with a combined focus on medicine and surgery.
He completed his residency at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, at which time it was ranked the #1 hospital in the world by U.S. News & World Report. He did a formal Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology fellowship at the Surgical Dermatology Group in Birmingham, Alabama, focusing on Mohs surgery and reconstruction, where he also practiced for the first few years of his career.
Dr. Tolkachjov’s involvement in education and research / clinical trials has facilitated over 115 publications in major medical journals such as the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Dermatologic Surgery, Journal of Investigative Dermatology, British Journal of Dermatology, International Journal of Dermatology, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, Dermatologic Clinics, Anais Brasileiros De Dermatologia, Orphanet Journal of Rare Disorders, and Pediatric Dermatology, among others. He has contributed chapters to several books with an international audience and has authored and edited 2 textbooks on Mohs surgery and complex facial reconstructive techniques, which include distinguished international panel of contributing authors. He has also edited 2 editions of Dermatologic Clinics.
He continues to teach students, residents, and fellows with various speaking engagements nationally and internationally including venues such as New York, Amsterdam, Manila, Milan, Copenhagen, Manchester, Greece, Moscow, Kuala Lumpur, Brazil, Berlin, and Vancouver amongst others. He was also voted as Teacher of the Year by the dermatology residents at UT Southwestern in Dallas and Physician of the Year by Epiphany Dermatology in 2021.
As a leader in the field of dermatology and Mohs surgery, he is an active member, frequent lecturer, and holds committee positions in the:
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
- American College of Mohs Surgery (ACMS)
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS)
- European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV)
- International Society for Dermatologic and Aesthetic Surgery (ISDS)
- American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
- California Society of Facial Plastic Surgery (CSFPS)
- O’Leary Society (Mayo Clinic Dermatology Alumni)
- European Society for Micrographic Surgery (ESMS)
- Skin Cancer Outcomes Consortium (SCOUT)
- Consortium for Harmonizing Outcomes Research in Dermatology (CHORD)
Committees on which he has or is currently serving include:
- Mohs Appropriate Use Criteria (AAD)
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery Committee (AAD)
- Dallas Dermatological Society – President
- World Congress Fund Review Task Force (AAD)
- Former Chair of the Communications & Public Relations Committee (ACMS)
- Professional Conduct Committee (ASDS)
- Awards Work Group (ASDS)
- Journal Awards Work Group (ASDS)
- Journal of the AAD (JAAD) Editorial Mentorship Program (AAD)
- Communications & Public Relations Committee (ACMS)
- IDEA (innovation/development/evaluation/assessment) panel (AAD)
- Section of Hospital Dermatology Committee (Mayo Clinic Dept. of Dermatology)
- O’Leary Society Board of Directors – Mayo Clinic Dermatology Alumni Association
Dr. Tolkachjov has done additional training with experts in the aesthetic field for fillers, neurotoxins, Kybella®, chemical peels, and lasers. When approaching a cosmetic patient, he strives for a natural and subtle appearance and treats each patient’s unique concerns while obeying anatomical symmetry and complementing the natural features of each individual. With cosmetics, he takes a conservative approach that fits a patient’s desired goals and budget.
In his spare time, Dr. Tolkachjov enjoys coaching sports, trivia, travel, and spending time with his wife, two children and dog, Bella. His easygoing demeanor, outgoing personality, and enthusiasm for patient contributes to the welcoming environment of his dedicated team while his meticulous approach and precision allows for the highest cure rates and excellent aesthetic reconstructive outcomes.