Dr. Stan Tolkachjov is a board-certified dermatologist and board-certified Mohs micrographic & reconstructive surgeon with interests in skin cancers, Mohs surgery & complex facial reconstruction, pyoderma gangrenosum, neutrophilic dermatoses, cosmetics, and hair disorders & restoration. He is the Dallas-Fort Worth area Director of Mohs Micrographic & Reconstructive Surgery for Epiphany and has performed over 10,000 cases.
He graduated from Emory University with a degree in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology where he was on the varsity track and field team and played rugby. He then attended University of Tennessee College of Medicine graduating first in his class of 159 medical students where he was elected to the professionalism committee for 4 years, an AMA representative, president of the Student Surgical Society, and a member of the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha honor society followed by a rigorous transitional year internship at the Methodist University Hospital at the University of Tennessee with a combined focus on medicine and surgery.
He completed his residency at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, at which time it was ranked the #1 hospital in the world by U.S. News & World Report. He did a formal Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology fellowship at the Surgical Dermatology Group in Birmingham, Alabama, focusing on Mohs surgery and reconstruction, where he also practiced for the first few years of his career.
Dr. Tolkachjov’s involvement in education and research / clinical trials has facilitated over 80 publications in major medical journals such as the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Dermatologic Surgery, International Journal of Dermatology, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, and Pediatric Dermatology, among others. He has contributed chapters to several books and is currently co-authoring 2 textbooks on Mohs surgery and complex facial reconstructive techniques, which includes a distinguished international panel of contributing authors.
He continues to teach students, residents, and fellows with various speaking engagements nationally and internationally including venues such as New York, Amsterdam, Manila, Milan, Copenhagen, Manchester, and Vancouver amongst others. As a clinical assistant professor he volunteers his time teaching residents at UT Southwestern Medical Center and the Dallas VA Medical Center.
As a leader in the field of dermatology and Mohs surgery, he is an active member and holds committee positions in the:
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
- American College of Mohs Surgery (ACMS)
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS)
- European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV)
- International Society for Dermatologic and Aesthetic Surgery (ISDS)
- American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
- O’Leary Society (Mayo Clinic Dermatology Alumni)
- European Society for Micrographic Surgery (ESMS)
- Skin Cancer Outcomes Consortium (SCOUT)
- Consortium for Harmonizing Outcomes Research in Dermatology (CHORD)
Committees on which he has or is currently serving include:
- Mohs Appropriate Use Criteria (AAD)
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery Committee (AAD)
- World Congress Fund Review Task Force (AAD)
- Professional Conduct Committee (ASDS)
- Awards Work Group (ASDS)
- Journal of the AAD (JAAD) Editorial Mentorship Program (AAD)
- Communications & Public Relations Committee (ACMS)
- IDEA (innovation/development/evaluation/assessment) panel (AAD)
- Section of Hospital Dermatology Committee (Mayo Clinic Dept. of Dermatology)
- Chair of the Communications & Public Relations Committee (ACMS)
Dr. Tolkachjov has done additional training with experts in the aesthetic field for fillers, neurotoxins, Kybella, chemical peels, and lasers. When approaching a cosmetic patient, he strives for a natural and subtle appearance and treats each patient’s unique concerns while obeying anatomical symmetry and complementing the natural features of each individual. With cosmetics, he takes a conservative approach that fits a patient’s desired goals and budget.
In his spare time, Dr. Tolkachjov enjoys sports, trivia, travel, and spending time with his wife, two children and dog, Bella. His easygoing demeanor, outgoing personality, and enthusiasm for patient contributes to the welcoming environment of his dedicated team while his meticulous approach and precision allows for the highest cure rates and excellent aesthetic reconstructive outcomes.